Thursday, September 13, 2012

Farewell, Smokey


My sister, Mary Lucas, said farewell to her beloved companion, Smokey, today. He was 11 year old Weimaraner. Mary found him at a yard sale (of all places) when he was a puppy, and fell in love with his beautiful blue eyes and floppy ears. He had huge paws so he was destined to become BIG. And he did! He was goofy, and happy, and friendly, and adventurous, and a rascal.

I'll never forget the time I brought my new puppy, Beau, to my sister's farm in Kentucky. He was a lab-shepherd mix, about nine months old, and a "city" dog. Smokey wasn't too sure about this intruder. Beau was allowed to come in the house (as long as he was in his crate) and Smokey wasn't. This didn't go over well with Smokey. He thought he would teach Beau a few things about being a "country" dog. So, one morning, I let Beau outside to do his thing. My plan was to make sure business was taken care of and bring him right back in the house, so no leash. No one was home but the dogs and I. The telephone rang and I came in to answer it (this was way before the luxury of cell phones), trusting Beau to stay in the yard.

BIG MISTAKE! Smokey pounced on the opportunity to give Beau his first lesson on living the country life, as a dog. This lesson involved exploring. My sister lives on a 380 acre horse farm. Lots of ponds, ravines, and wildlife! There are a few fences but not intended to restrain a dog and his new friend. Smokey gives Beau the signal, and off they go. And fast! I honestly think that in the back of Smokey's mind was the thought that "This guy has got to go and I know just how to get rid of him!"

I came back outside moments later - OK, maybe minutes - only to find both of them GONE! And I mean GONE! No calling, no whistling, no searching around the immediate area had any effect. These two were off on an adventure!

Panic set in! I was getting ready to go back home to Ohio that day and Beau had to be in the car with me. All I could think of was how Dick was going to react if I didn't bring him home. He loved that dog! And if Beau didn't come home with me, I might just as well not go home. I valued my life too much to face that music.
So, the search set it in. For four hours I drove up and down the back roads, in and out of driveways, calling, crying, and praying that the two of them would show up. I recruited my sister-in-law, Beth, to join the hunt and still no success. Where were these two?!?

One more time down Oak Ridge Road, driving slowly, looking carefully, when all of a sudden there they both appeared in the front yard of someone's house. They looked at me as if to say, "Hi! Whatcha doing?" Both seemed totally oblivious to the frantic search that had taken up the better part of the day. Dogs! Needless to say both of them were put in the car and knew that I was not happy. Relieved, but not happy. At least I could go home knowing I wouldn't be tossed out on my ear.

I still wonder what adventures these two had for those four hours. Smokey didn't lose Beau, but he certainly gave Beau an education and a taste of "freedom." We had to put in an electric fence around our property. What's that old saying: You can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy"? Thanks, Smokey, for letting Beau discover a little bit of country. You were a great teacher, a great companion, and loved by everyone. I hope you and Beau are sitting on Rainbow Bridge together - waiting for Mary and I to find you again.



No comments:

Post a Comment